Sea, food, fun & relaxation
Information Request
SPECIAL OFFERS

Atri museum of Abruzzo

the Abruzzo town with the richest concentration of museums and monuments

Atri, whose history dates back to VII-V sec. BC, reached its splendor thanks to Rome becoming a colony in 289 BC, and the imperial period, in which the Emperor Hadrian was born. The origin of the name, in its most ancient Hatria, is still uncertain: it is thought to derive from Hatranus, a Illyrian-Sicilian divinity, linked to the populations of the Illyrians who arrived in the area, from Dalmatia, around the IX-X century. B.C. Atri in 1395 became the capital of the duchy of Acquaviva, a noble family from the Kingdom of Naples.

Atri City of art

Atri an ancient roman town in Abruzzo rich in monuments and museums which attest its historical splendor has earned the title of city of art. An artistic jewel that deserves to be visited ,among its several monuments, especially the cathedral of Santa Maria Assunta, built in 1260, on three previous buildings: the church of the ninth century, the Roman cistern (now the crypt) and the temple dedicated to Ercole. The peculiarity of the cathedral is in its interior, the result of different interventions that have taken place throughout the centuries. The original structure was finished in 1305.

A magnificent cycle of frescoes can be found in the chorus by Andrea De Litio, an abruzzese painter of the ‘400.

Annexed to the Co-Cathedral, on its south side is the church of Santa Reparata, the patron saint of the city. It was built in 1335 and it houses in its interior the wooden canopy, similar to that of St. Peter's Basilica, and the work of a pupil of Bernini.

Between art and nature

On the hills of Atri nature offers you a unique and suggestive sight thanks to Calanchi representing a true naturalistic work of art , by the particular shape of cliffs due to the erosion of the clay soil. In 1995 it became a protected area and in recent years also a WWF natural reserve.

Local specialties of Atri

In 1836 The Cavalier De Rosa inaugurated in Atri the industrial production of licorice, whose juice was extracted in the Middle Ages by the Dominican friars of the place. In 1950 the De Rosa plant became part of Aurelio Menozzi’s, thus giving rise to Menozzi & De Rosa. The famous "Tabu’".

Walking around the center of Atri, you cannot miss a visit to the typical small shops of the town, where you will find the delicious Pan Ducale, a typical cake of Atri linked to the family of the Dukes of Acquaviva. The original recipe dates back from 1352, when it was still called " almond pizza ", being then composed only of eggs, flour and almonds. Then with the arrival of the Duke of Acquaviva, the Atriani decided to take it to him as a gift and was appreciated so much that he wanted it every morning on his table for breakfast. Since then, the Atriani decided to change its name to "Pan Ducale". In 1800, after its discovery, the cocoa was added to the other original ingredients .